Monday, September 21, 2009

Island Eating

The best food here on the island I've found is the fresh produce. There's an open market where dozens of women stay the week Monday through Saturday afternoon and sell their produce around the clock. Everything is sweet, the sweetest carrots and lettuce I've ever tasted!

Some of the women make prepared foods at lunch time, I have no idea what they call the things. The have some kind of potato thing with fish or chicken and various sauces. I sometimes go for what looks like a huge rolled pancake made of tapioca with coconut cream inside. It's very rich and so scrumptious. There's a little french restaurant with delicious cream desserts. For the most part we've been sticking pretty close to a raw diet.

Husband eats everything but I had a light case of traveler's sickness and have been eating produce that has a peel on it. Got a peeler yesterday though, so I'll be able to expand my diet.

Mangoes just came into season and showed up in the market today, will definitely be getting some! Fresh grapefruit grow on our property and they're not at all sour, very sweet. Husband and I share one of those in the morning with fresh coconut cream that husband makes by opening a coconut with a machete, then using a coconut scraper to get the meat out, then squeezing the meat which makes the coconut milk/cream. DELICIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment